This post collects the links for the jazz series I'm running on normblog, and the premise of which was stated in the first post of the series thus: 'The conceit will be that you want to build a jazz collection from nothing, and I'll recommend CDs which I'm confident should belong in a jazz collection of excellence.'
1. Charlie Haden/Kenny Barron, Night and the City.
2. Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, Moanin'.
3. Shelly Manne, At the Blackhawk.
4. James Carter, Conversin' with the Elders.
5. Benny Goodman, Live at Carnegie Hall.
6. Bobby Hutcherson, In the Vanguard.
7. Wayne Shorter, Speak No Evil.
8. Art Pepper, Straight Life.
9. Diana Krall, The Look of Love.
10. John Coltrane, Giant Steps.
11. Andrew Hill, Point of Departure.
12. Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster.
13. Louis Armstrong, The Hot Fives and Sevens.
14. Erroll Garner, Concert by the Sea.
15. Django Reinhardt, Jazz Masters 38.
16. Cannonball Adderley, Somethin' Else.
17. Dave Brubeck, Jazz Goes to College.
18. Joe Henderson, Page One.
19. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue.
20. The Modern Jazz Quartet, Pyramid.
21. Mulgrew Miller and Niels Henning Ørsted Pedersen, The Duets.
22. Bill Evans, Waltz For Debby.